Description

Reports and Articles for Fishing, Rockhounding, Hiking, and other Adventures in North Carolina

The Drakage

My photo
I'm a 33 yr old lifetime fisherman and outdoor enthusiast. I'm a North Carolinian who has lived all over the state. WCU Alumni!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Lesson learned....

Each Fishing Chapter of my life is draws a unique portrait of the Business I foresee.  The year was 2004.           28 days on the Dry Tortugas Islands,  70 miles off the coast from Key West. Fort Jefferson and Garden key hold the most remote National park you can visit in our country. With no commercial fishing within the protected sanctuaries, and recreational fishing permitted, thus allowing for some off the best salt-water fishing in the whole country hands down.  Mostly accomplished from a kayak, shore or a pier. Everyday run-ins with the gray ghost were not uncommon. Not something in the depths of the fort, but a Giant learking in the shadowy green waters.

The first time I felt the power of a Tarpon rip every bit of line off my spinning outfit without one stop, i was awed.  I have failed at this fish so far in my life, but without concern. My time is coming soon when we will meet again.  After learning about the power in those emerald waters, I found a sanctuary for myself for the second time in my life around the ocean. That chapter was filled with so many friends and fun times, fishing, working all the same. 

I credit that summer in Florida as a key to unlock, a tactic closer to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment