Description

Reports and Articles for Fishing, Rockhounding, Hiking, and other Adventures in North Carolina

The Drakage

My photo
I'm a 33 yr old lifetime fisherman and outdoor enthusiast. I'm a North Carolinian who has lived all over the state. WCU Alumni!

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Remote Cheoah Lake

Trout Season opens Apr. 5th 2014





So the wife and I decided not to hit up crowded local waters on opening day, instead travel over an hour to below Fontana dam which is hatchery supported. We got out there somewhat early and started trolling to a spot I had seen on Google maps. We had the first fish a good 16in rainbow break off near the boat, lost my best spinner. After that we boated three nice trout trolling or casting to deep water near shore structure. (few smaller rainbow throw backs) Not a huge bite sat. due to the cold front I think, but a lot of quality fish for sure in that lake…Most were caught with medium BP in-line spinners or brown trout rapala's.




3 comments:

  1. awesome..where did you get that rapala???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mack, I bought that lure online this off-season, not sure where. Those trout nailed it like a bass would, which is awesome!! Should have bought ten more, cause I always hang up my best lures.. haha I'll do some research and get back with ya.. Neal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice place for fishing. And amazing species too. An absolute fishing lover's delight!

    ReplyDelete